Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I need advice, HELP please!!

I’ve kind of prided myself on being able to stay connected to the people in my family who have very different political ideas… but I need some advice. Usually, I try to listen and understand where people are coming from, but right now I feel so outraged about the torture and killing going on in Iraq that I don’t feel, morally, that I can stay silent. Also, I feel very strongly about the current political issues, so I have a hard time talking about it without getting intense. I also don’t want to have a contentious or tension filled Thanksgiving. I’m going to be at my aunt’s house who is far right politically.

 

I’d like to be able to say what I think, inform my family of what’s going on, yet keep it light and warm and stay connected…

 

Thanks for any help! I was just on the phone with my mom and she said, “What ever you do, don’t bring up politics.” Even that made me angry and I said that with what is happening in the world right now, I feel it would be immoral not to  speak up.

 

Any ideas?

1 comment:

Laura Moncur said...

We voted. We did our best. We have no control over what is going on in Iraq right now. Go to rallies. Go to peace marches. Arguing with people who have already made up their minds, however, is a lesson in futility.

Never try to reason the prejudice out of a man. It was not reasoned into him, and cannot be reasoned out.
Sydney Smith (1771 - 1845)