Monday, March 07, 2005

Illustration Friday: Ancient



It's Illustration Friday again already?! This is probably really good for me, not a time waster like I was worried it was. It gets me to create things I wouldn't otherwise think of. Computer art is hard with a mouse, on the other hand, I enjoy the effects I can create with the computer and I don't have to worry about destroying my picture with my experiments. Once again, an image came instantly into my mind when I heard the word of the week, and I went with it.

The concept was originally me looking into a mirror and seeing a face that is looking older and older looking back at me. It was sort of a sad and unsatisfying picture, so I changed the face to look more kindly, and now I think it is mysterious. Who is that face, anyway? Maybe a wise, ancient one.

[Update: I don't like this picture. Maybe it is a flawed idea or maybe "ancient" just doesn't translate well in computer art. mmm...ggggrrrr... What do you think?]

10 comments:

steve said...

The person reflected in the mirror looks thoughful. Memories of youth ? Loves ? Glory days ? You made me think, Great job !

Laura Moncur said...

You keep getting better and better. I think this is your best work yet!

Braidwood said...

Thanks, Laura! Your comment made me look at it again. I think what I find uncomfortable about it is the mirror effect. My eye keeps going back and forth between the gazes and doesn't have a place to rest.

I really needed some encouragemnet today. I finished my comprehensive exams for school after a long weekend and I don't feel super great about them. SO, I drew a picture! :) THanks for your encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I like it, Braidwood! The older face looks wise and tolerant, like she's fond of her younger self.

Andrea

Joe said...

I like your idea! Looks good!

Braidwood said...

Thanks, guys! Andrea, your comment was spot on. I hope my older and wiser self is more tolerant and fond of me than I sometimes am of myself. I've decided to grow into her a bit and change my mind and like my picture. :)

Anonymous said...

You're doing a nice job. Using Photoshop?

btw: Thanks for the nice comment you left me ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Braidwood said...

(Wow these double posts are making me look like I have a lot of comments. I'm going to erase the double posts.)

Missdaze, thanks! Actually I'm using the program that comes standard with Microsoft called "paint" it is a SUPER simple program. I added some effects in program called Skype that is advertised with the Hello software that I use to post pictures to Blogger.

It's a very simple set-up and the reason I post my pictures early! I'd like to get a scanner and Illustrator so I could post things I do by hand and then play with them on the computer. I love looking at all the cool things people are doing. Plug to my page visitors: Check out what the other people at Illustration Friday are doing. Pretty cool stuff!

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent concept and it's nicely done.