Sunday, November 06, 2005

Me to a freakin' T

I was going to have a "day of rest" or more accurately a day of re-creation. However, I came home from church, cooked, watched Tremors (I love that movie,) and then did what I said I would not do: started surfing on the computer. I need to write my morning pages. I need to be still and think and process, especially when I feel agitated/anxious like this. When I feel like this is when it is hardest for me to do though. I did do one good recreational thing. I walked on the beach after church. Ahh... Ok now for some morning pages. Really.

Here is a list of characteristics that are common to gifted adults, sans the references. You can read the rest of the article here.
  • A broad knowledge base and seemingly insatiable need for new information that is associated with an insatiable intellectual curiosity.
  • Critical self-scrutiny and self-monitoring.
  • Verbal agility, remarkable expressiveness, and a penchant for in-depth discussion and debate.
  • Exceptionally high standards, idealism, perfectionism, and intense self-criticism.
  • Preference for complexity and novelty and a tolerance of ambiguity.
  • Excitability, multiple interests, high levels of energy...
  • Love of challenge motivated by an intrinsic drive toward fulfillment of potential, meaningful living, and self-actualization.
  • Distinct need for autonomy.
  • Heightened physiological sensitivity and sensory arousal.
  • Feelings of loneliness and emotional distance despite positive relationships and even popularity.
  • Emotional sensitivity and extraordinary responsiveness.
  • History of frustration related to asynchronous development — ability to visualize or conceptualize the desired creative product preceding the attainment of obligatory skills.
  • Compassion, moral integrity and courage, wisdom, global awareness, and potential for humanitarian leadership.
  • 2 comments:

    jo_jo said...

    "History of frustration related to asynchronous development — ability to visualize or conceptualize the desired creative product preceding the attainment of obligatory skills."

    This is the biggest one for me. For example, I am a much better musician than singer or viola player - I know what I want it to sound like, but I hate practicing to learn the technical skills to achieve the desired result.

    Which one resonnates most for you?
    Best,
    Joanna

    Braidwood said...

    Hi Joanna,

    Oh the musical frustration is one for me too! I either need better skills or better technology to realize the songs I want to create. I really relate to all of those. What came up in my life which prompted me to look for info about gifted adults was the "Distinct need for autonomy" I noticed in myself.