Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Princess and the Pea (I always hated that fairy tale)

As it turns out, part of my princessness is that I am very raw to stimulus in the environment. (Oh no! Princess and the Pea!!) And I need a breather from all that stimulation fairly frequently. You know how babies turn away when they have had too much stimulation? That's how I am at a dance after 2 or 3 dances. I used to just force myself to keep dancing, or leave early. But last time I went swing dancing, it was different. I honored my princessness. I didn't dance with people who made me uncomfortable. I sat out when I needed a breather from the intensity of one on one dancing and watched the awesome band, or talked with people. I didn't feel like I had to keep going. I had a great time, and I felt like staying longer than I usually do. It was so freeing to let how I am be ok. I don't know why it helps me to accept myself when I can identify my characteristics in a pattern, but it does.

4 comments:

Joel said...

Do you suffer from bipolar like I do?

Sounds to me like you did the right thing: you respected your limits and took care of yourself. That's an excellent strategy for surviving any situation and if it meant that you were able to extend the time that you were having fun, TERRIFIC!

As for me, I don't like to dance. :D

Braidwood said...

Hi Joel,

Of all the things I have, that is one thing I don't have. But, I do agree that respecting limits and taking care of yourself is a good strategy for anyone. I remember in another comment, you said that many of the traits of gifted people sound like bi-polar symptoms. That is really interesting.

Yak said...

wow - your blog has a new look!

Joel said...

The incidence of bipolar disorder among the creative set (including scientists) is usually from 5 to 15 percent. (The general population is thought to be 2%.) The one notable exception is poets: up to 28 percent of them are diagnosed bipolars.

Check Kay Jamison's Touched by Fire for some fascinating insights into the connection between "madness" and creativity.