Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Democracy Now interview with Eric Saar

Wow. I don't listen to news much anymore. It's just too depressing, but I did listen to Democracy Now today while I was going through my enormous in-pile (no longer just an in-box.) You can listen or watch Amy's interview with Eric Saar, a translator at Guantanamo online. It was strange to heat an interviewee on Democracy Now saying, "Yes, mam" all the time. And this kid is clearly a white bread, admire-the-army type of guy. He decided that what we were doing in Guantanamo was unethical, and I admire him for saying so. I think it took a lot of courage and a lot of mental strength to handle the cognitive dissonance that he must of felt as he decided that the extreme behavior he saw around him was immoral and still kept his patriotism.

Categories: ,

No comments: