Sunday, May 29, 2005

Star Wars

I just saw Star Wars. Quickly turn away if you haven't seen it!
..
.
.
.
.
I don't know if I'll write any spoilers in here, but I hate to hear anything before seeing a movie. Wow. It was better than I expected, and better than some people told me it would be. Now that I've seen it, I can finally go read Roger Ebert's review. It was intense and I felt more sad after seeing it than during the movie. I'm just so sad that Anikan turned bad, and I'm sad that he had to burn up like that. I think the reason it really pulls at me emotionally is because it mirrors many of the feelings I've had as our nation has gone to war and as people have voted for less freedom. It just hurts that people can get so caught up in a fake enemy and resort to killing people to "liberate" them.

Padme was just about to say, "There's still hope." Sometimes when I have felt down about political decisions people have made, I take the long view. I think, "well, there will be another ice age and it will all be wiped out. Not to worry, the damage isn't permanent." That sounds really fatalistic, huh. It reminds me of a quote I read in Finding Flow, attributed to Buddhists:
Act always as if the future of the Universe depended on what you did, while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference.
I think that's a little heavy. (you think) But I do think that everything we do can have an effect and that an effective way to think of that is with hope- that even the little things you do make a difference, and not with guilt- that's where the laughing at yourself needs to come in.


Oh yeah, the special effects were really cool too. :)

Categories: ,

2 comments:

Joel said...

You mean Aikan turned into Darth Vader? No!

Anonymous said...

Hi Braidwood. I saw EpIII as well, and it was definitely the strongest of the three prequels. I like what you have to say about the present state of the world. Strange times, huh? ---JB