Thursday, June 23, 2005

Act for Change

Every now and then I have an "armchair activism" hour (or two) and write letters and call my representatives. It was scary to call at first, but so far a young sounding person answers pretty quickly, takes a message and asks if I am willing to give my name and my zip. I am. That's one case where I don't prefer to be anonymous. Today while sending letters through the super easy Act For Change site, I came across the following quote.
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell has strongly opposed the proposed amendment. "The First Amendment exists to insure that freedom of speech and expression applies not just to that with which we agree or disagree, but also that which we find outrageous," he said. "I would not amend that great shield of democracy to hammer a few miscreants. The flag will be flying proudly long after they have slunk away."
It was in a letter that opposes banning flag burning. It's a hot issue. (ha ha :)

Categories | , , ,

No comments: